Jump start your toast with an eloquent and moving reflection on marriage, love or binding two souls together.…
Here are 30 quotes to have a think about and possibly integrate into your own original speech.
‘As Shakespeare said…’ or ‘In the words of Sophocles’ and relating them to you and your loved one. The idea is to get the crowd to feel the significance and emotional impact of the words.
- May your love be like the misty rain, gentle coming in but flooding the river.
— Traditional African
- Insomuch as love grows in you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul.
— St. Augustine
- We never live so intensely as when we love strongly. We never realise ourselves so vividly as when we are in full glow of love for others.
— Walter Rauschenbusch
- To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.
— Lao Tzu
- Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.
— Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life, that word is love.
- Night and day you are the one, only you beneath the moon and under the sun.
— Cole Porter
- At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.
- Love is a fire that feeds our life.
— Pablo Neruda
- Love is friendship set to music.
- Marriage is like a golden ring in a chain, whose beginning is a glance and whose ending is eternity.
— Kahlil Gibran
- The strongest and sweetest songs yet remain to be sung.
— Walt Whitman
- We are each other’s harvest; we are each other’s business; we are each other’s magnitude and bond.
— Gwendolyn Brooks
- In our life there is a single colour, as on an artist’s palette, which provides the meaning of life and art. It is the colour of love.
— Marc Chagall
- We love because it’s the only true adventure.
— Nikki Giovanni
- We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
— John Keating, in Dead Poets Society (1989)
- They do not love that do not show their love.
- When people care for you and cry for you, they can straighten out your soul.
— Langston Hughes
- Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
— Emily Bronte
- That love is all there is, is all we know of love.
— Emily Dickinson
- A great flame follows a little spark.
— Dante Alighieri
- There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.
— George Sand
- Without love, the world itself would not survive.
— Lope de Vega
- When love reigns, the impossible may be attained.
— Indian proverb
- Love is life.
— Leo Tolstoy
- Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.
- Love is a moment that lasts forever.
- Love is all you need.
— John Lennon/Paul McCartney
- A good marriage is that in which each appoints the other guardian of his solitude.
— Rainer Maria Rilke
- May your dreams ride on the wings of angels who know their way home to the skies.
Hi Paul, Michael and I wished to express our thanks for the wonderful job you performed on our wedding day. We loved the relaxed atmosphere you create, which helped to calm us both down and we appreciated the way you spoke to the children throughout the service to make them feel part of it. It helped make our day very memorable. Thanks again from Mike and Laura. Ps. On the cruise for the reception we saw dolphins, penguins and whales, so we had the best time. — Michael & Laura Turner